Who is responsible for educating?
What is school for? What is education for? Are they the same?
Are job creation and economic stability really the most important issues of the day?
Many politicians (whether they run for Senate or School Board) always claim their best for the job due to “experience”, is experience all its cut out to be or are there more attributes we should be looking for?
I’ll let you think on these things and answer for yourself before I submit my conclusions. I’d love it if answers were posted to my comment section so we could have a "great conversation".
3 comments:
I just want to comment on some of these. The best provider of "economic stability" is education that produces leaders, thinkers, entrepreneurs, inventors, artists, and statesmen that will produce their own jobs and provide their own stability rather than waiting around for it to be handed to them.
The best attributes to look for in a political candidate are moral virtue, strong character (not personality), and principled leadership. Experience can be good, but is often bad. You can't expect someone in the box to think outside of it.
...but you probably knew my answers already.
Thanks Michael, your right, our answers are simular. Sigh, we need to pull people into our group with different world views who would be willing to converse without blowing up or walking out...is that possible? :) P.S. did you share with your lovely wife?
To continue with the political candidate topic...I think that experience shouldn't have so much weight to it. With a surgeon, yes, but in the political arena, no.
I think it should be a priviledge to serve our community (how large or small it may be) and not a career. Serve for a time and then go back to being a regular citizen.
Why aren't there term limits in the Senate? Because of a learning curve and nothing will be accomplished within a term of say, 4 years? I think that someone with a strong vision that can lead others to the positive outcome should have the opportunity and then step down and let the next positive visionary continue.
And to answer the first question - the student is in charge of their education. When things are given to us when we don't work for them, they're taken for granted and not valued.
Post a Comment