From As A Man Thinketh

"Mind is the Master power that moulds and makes, And Man is Mind, and evermore he takes The tool of Thought, and , shaping what he wills, Brings forth a thousand joys, a thousand ills:- He thinks in secret, and it comes to pass: Environment is but his looking-glass."

Monday, October 4, 2010

Homeschool Fun and Ideas



What a great idea Heavenly Father inspired me with today for our free/learning time! I just had to share. Today I told the kids to figure out something they wanted to teach me. They were very excited and I learned about their digging project (how they will have tunnels and why), their mini fire pit, dog food (it has fiber) and why dogs like it, money: different kinds what the coins are worth and that they have Presidents faces on them (we will research further to find out which ones), how to make whistles out of straws, and how they turned their bikes over to use the wheels to help them make kindling. They really enjoyed sharing their knowledge and I think this will be a good thing to do with them periodically.




Also I've done a vairation of the bean jar. Ours is a warm fuzzy jar and we will fill it once. There are different size fuzzies and the larger ones are for good deeds and service. The smallest ones are for use of the "free time" jar (free time is our "school" time). We are still in detox mode and the kids struggle to find approved free time activities. Rather then me telling them and they always say no to my suggestions; I decided to type up the ideas and put them in a jar. They love it, and if they complete a suggestion they get to put a small fuzzy into the warm fuzzy jar. Some stips suggestions are:



-Learn about Seas and Oceans

-Do a copywork lesson

-Play Scrabble

-Practice a memorization with mom

-Map Alaska city's we want to visit

-Learn about a Hymn

-Practice Sewing

-Mentor (sibling name) in her numbers

-Use gospel art kit to learn about an artist

-Listen to classical music

-Grow some crystals

-Read a history of church in Alaska article

-Learn about a president of the USA

Some ideas I want the kids to do more so I simply made more suggestion strips with those ideas. To make the list I looked around at all the educational stuff we had and asked myself what they could learn from it then wrote it up in a suggestion statement. I also looked at the grade level suggestions our homeschool program listed and wrote those up (although I have many more to write up). I color coded the lists (but did not tell my kids I did so, we'll see how long it takes for them to figure that out) and my catagories are: Math, Science, Art, Music, Reading, History, Geography, Scripture, Writing, and Other (this includes skills and mentoring suggestions).

1 comment: