From As A Man Thinketh

"Mind is the Master power that moulds and makes, And Man is Mind, and evermore he takes The tool of Thought, and , shaping what he wills, Brings forth a thousand joys, a thousand ills:- He thinks in secret, and it comes to pass: Environment is but his looking-glass."

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Halloween vs. Reformation

For two years we have not participated in Halloween.  It was easy to stop in 2010 for I didn't think it appropriate to do those activities on the Sabbath day.  The kids had a bit of a hard time about it but they understood it.  Last year Dad wasn't home, he had to work, so we didn't do it again.  Every year it is still a struggle for them but I really don't want to do it.  This year Dad will be home so we'll see what happens.  I read this post that pointed out Reformation Day is celebrated by many Christians.  I had no idea Martin Luther posted his Ninety-Five Theses on October 31, 1517.  I'm excited to learn more about it and the reformation. 

I didn't learn about the reformation soon enough to do all the ideas I've had for this year (such as homemade reformation dress ups and a faire with friends) so I will keep it simple.  I never have liked the sugar overloads inherent with Halloween so treats will be simple if at all.  I've read other posts about how others celebrate and hope to incorporate some ideas for next year.  For sure we will watch this three part series called Fires of Faith by BYU.  Some reading by candle light (the kids will love that!).  Planning for next year.  My kids love to dress up and have parties (which we never do) so I think this will make a joyful event for us to have that will hopefully give us a spiritual boost as well.

I enjoyed this 4-part series about the topic, hope you will too.

1 comment:

Anchorageb2 said...

My child and we do the Trunk or treat at the church and we visit only friends on Halloween. The next day though we celebrate the day of the dead. We focus on our Ancestors and the importance of the temple to them. My has passed and my daughter never met her so we also use this day to celebrate her life and teach my daughter about her grandmother. A huge part of my testimony is my grandpa visiting me in a dream begging me to promise him to help him get into the gates of heaven. we cover these kinds of blessings as well and there importance to us.