From As A Man Thinketh

"Mind is the Master power that moulds and makes, And Man is Mind, and evermore he takes The tool of Thought, and , shaping what he wills, Brings forth a thousand joys, a thousand ills:- He thinks in secret, and it comes to pass: Environment is but his looking-glass."

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Daughters in My Kindgom: Retrench

I am such a weak weak sinner. Lately I have struggled and fallen into old patterns. I have begun to seek for comfort with things of the world. These things do not satisfy though so I want more and more. I see it in my children too. Right now the biggest worldly comfort we seek more and more of is television. When I watch it I feel out of control and unable to stop myself. I’ll sit there staring, doing nothing but watching more and more. Thinking to myself I should stop this foolishness for I have so many better things to do with my time. Yet, I feel frozen. It’s awful.

As I was thinking of this compulsion I remembered a chapter in a book called Daughters in My Kingdom. Particularly the word retrench stood out. So I found the chapter (4: A Wide and Extensive Sphere of Action) and found this gem:
“[Sister Snow] said that the Holy Ghost ‘satisfies and fills up every longing of the human heart, and fills up every vacuum. When I am filled with that Spirit, ‘ she continued, ‘my soul is satisfied, and I can say in good earnest, that the trifling things of the day do not seem to stand in my way at all. But just let me lose my hold of that spirit and power of the Gospel, and partake of the spirit of the world, in the slightest degree, and trouble comes; there is something wrong. I am tried, and what will comfort me? You cannot impart comfort to me that will satisfy the immortal mind, but that which comes from the Fountain above. And is it not our privilege to so live that we can have this constantly flowing into our souls?’”

I know that when I seek for comfort and satisfaction through worldly means I will continually be unfulfilled and need more and more of that worldly “cure”. I believe that it is only through “the Fountain above” that true comfort and satisfaction will be felt. So I will retrench (purge), repent and press on.

P.S. I wonder how many obsessive compulsive behavior diagnoses would disappear if only more people would heed the principle of seeking comfort from the comforter himself, the Holy Ghost.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I love that quote,in fact I read this very quote again on Sunday, and I have been thinking about this subject a lot over the last few months.
A scripture that I think goes so well is: Come, my brethren, everyone that thirsteth, come ye to the waters; and he that hath no money, come buy and eat; yea, come buy wine and milk without money and without price. Wherefore, do not spend money for that which is of no worth, nor your labor for that which cannot satisfy...come unto the Holy One of Israel and feast upon that which perisheth not, neither can be corrupted, and let your soul delight in fatness." 2 Nephi 9:50-51
I find myself hungering for something, and then spend my time surfing the internet. When I realize that I'm doing it to fill a need, I go and say my prayers or read my scriptures.
I love to watch hoarders, and it is easy to see that the people are trying to fill a need in their life with stuff. There are so many ways people try to fill that need for God with worldly things.
Thanks for posting.

Dahlia said...

Thanks for posting Rebekah. I have been feeling the same way about the TV watching around here...it's just too much!
Today, my visiting teacher brought two of my kids to her house to play while the baby slept and I could have a free moment. I reached for the remote and instead thought to read the scriptures. I felt so much more peace and know that's what we should be doing more of. It was an eye opener, and your post is quite timely.

Carlia said...

excellent post Rebekah! Carl calls television "the great trojan horse of our day".