To start with, I have gardened for a couple of years but still don't really know how to do companion planting and successive planting. I just discovered about Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bertholomew. I checked it out at the library and started reading it. This method of gardening makes sense and would solve my time, companion, and successive planting weaknesses. If I were just starting out this is what I would set up. I have 3 huge raised beds, now I need to convince my hubbie to let, I mean help, me change my beds to fit this method. I'm excited to try it out. Maybe instead of changing the beds we have we'll just build new ones to the square foot gardening specks. We need to expand anyway. Here's some quotes:
Do you garden? What method do you use? Is it working for you?"...the final harvest is the true goal of gardening. And growing plants in a neat, attractive, weedless garden can help lead to that harvest goal (p.1).
The United States Department of Agriculture's county agriculture extension services tended to teach and promote what their big brothers, the state universities, were researching-- and that was commercial agricultural practices. That was fine for the large-scale growers, but it just didn't meet the needs of the millions of home gardeners in this country(p.7).
...square foot gardening will save you at least 80 percent of the space, time, and money normally needed to garden and at the same time will produce a better and more continuous harvest with less work" (p.8).
4 comments:
i am going to check out that book. thanks for the info!
Awesome as always! Thanks for sharing!! That's what I hope to do this summer, so thanks for a reference to go off of.
Also very cool about your discovery, maybe you can tell the secret for the rest of us blogging mothers ;P
I did my first square foot garden last year and it was amazing. I weeded ONCE. So easy, productive, efficient..and beautiful! Good luck.
I've also done my own version of square foot gardening and I agree, it's so much easier! My water has wee seeds in it so I have to weed more often, but it is so easy to pull them up and to see them when they do come up. I never want to go back to doing it all in the ground.
Post a Comment