From As A Man Thinketh

"Mind is the Master power that moulds and makes, And Man is Mind, and evermore he takes The tool of Thought, and , shaping what he wills, Brings forth a thousand joys, a thousand ills:- He thinks in secret, and it comes to pass: Environment is but his looking-glass."

Friday, November 5, 2010

Community and Freedom

An article I recently read begins by asking, "What makes a community a great place to live?"

This is a great question we should all consider. Is it the neatness and conformity the community has or is it the relationships neighbors have built with one another? Is it the high resale values our homes are able to maintain or is it the ability for property owners to use their property in the best way they see fit? Are our communities great because the local police are quick to respond to disputes or is it the ability of the individual neighbors to peaceably work out issues with one another because they have focused on one another's similarities and fostered friendships with each other?

One option is achieved by rules, regulations, rigor, and relevance. The other option fosters freedom.

This begs to ask the questions: What is freedom, how important is freedom, and what am I willing to give/sacrifice to have the level of freedom I feel is best?

Give this article a read The Tyrant Next Door and ponder on these questions.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Great questions. Thanks for letting me know about The Tyrant Next door. That was a great article.

Carlia said...

hey rebekah! thanks for all your comments on my post. sorry i'm not so good at responding back. referring to your comment about the well-trained mind book...i actually loved the structure she suggested in the book. I go crazy without some semblance of order and organization in my life and so I need it in our homeschooling days. I agree with her ideas of knowledge-centered learning rather than children-centered learning in that I believe there are certain things the children should learn about and understand, but I also believe the great thing about homeschool is that they have freedom to explore their own interests as well. I think about the song "lead me, guide me, walk beside me". I think they need some guidance and direction for what to study - not all the time and not forever, I think as they grow older they will have more of an idea of the great expanse of knowledge out there to gain. Right now i am giving them a taste of it with those things that I believe are important for them to learn and know about.

Being A Mother Who Knows said...

Hi Rebekah!

I hope you are warm in Alaska right now! I'm thinking of you!

~Deanna : )