I’ve been looking for a better word to describe what the left often refers to as bigotry in my character. It is integrity.
Bigot: intolerant person: somebody with strong opinions, especially on politics, religion, or ethnicity, who refuses to accept different views
Integrity: 1. possession of firm principles: the quality of possessing and steadfastly adhering to high moral principles or professional standards
Okay, true, I do refuse to accept different views in some areas, that is my unalienable right. But I will listen to and even accept and love people themselves who’s views differ from mine. We need not recognize the negative term to define our steadfastness to true principles. “A person of integrity does not cover sins in order to look good to the outside world*.” I believe the term bigot it often misapplied to people of integrity and I plan to correct that misnomer every time I am faced with it. I challenge you to do the same.
* The Eternal Importance of Honesty by Richard J. Maynes Ensign April 2010 p.38-42.
1 comment:
Nice thoughts! I'll have my husband read that. He will like it.
It is nice to see you writing again. I've missed your wisdom! I hope summer has been good for you. : )
Post a Comment