As I have been studying various topics of interest I have seen a pattern of truth emerge. It started by reading The Headgate which spoke of simplifying our homes by getting rid of the excess stuff we all have.
- The “enriching home environment is not difficult to create. A home of this nature has nothing unique in it that any other good home does not have. But I think you will find that the difference between this sort of home and many other good homes is found in the things that it does not have.”
- “Modern societies live mostly on processed foods. These foods have been developed to meet the requirements of mass production, shelf life, economics, and taste acceptance. These “fake foods” no longer resemble in any way the nutritional characteristics of real food made by nature (p.7). “
- “Though many think that disease is the result of genetics or bad fortune, the reality is that for the vast majority, we will get what we have earned. Our body is formed from the foods we have consumed in our life. A body made from refined foods, white flour, oils, sugar, and other highly processed “fake” food develops into a sickly human, with allergies and autoimmune diseases…(p.8)”
- “Americans eat only 5 percent of calories from fruits, vegetables, beans, and unprocessed nuts and seeds, the foods that contain the necessary nutrients to maintain normal health (p.12).”
In spiritual matters the standard answers to what we should do daily to promote spiritual heath are: pray, study scriptures, and emulate Jesus Christ (What would Jesus Do?/Choose the Right).
- “Pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17).”
- “Therefore ye must always pray unto the Father in my name (3 Nephi 18:19).”
- “Pray always, that you may come off conqueror; yea, that you may conquer Satan, and that you may escape the hands of the servants of Satan that do uphold his work (D & C 10:5).”
- “We should each study the scriptures every day. We should share these truths with our children. We should read the standard works with our children so they will learn to love them and use them for the truths they contain.
If we desire to avoid the evils of this world, we must feed our minds with the truth and righteousness found in the scriptures (Gospel Principles p.49).” - “Studying the scriptures, praying regularly, and living the gospel of Jesus Christ are works of righteousness, and the Lord has revealed this wonderful promise: ‘He who doeth the works of righteousness shall receive his reward, even peace in this world, and eternal life in the world to come’ (Things Pertaining to Righteousness).”
Finally, my husband works at a gold mine so I have thought about gold as well lately. The more refined and pure gold has less dross.
- Main Entry: dross
Pronunciation: \ˈdräs, ˈdrȯs\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English dros, from Old English drōs dregs
Date: before 12th century
1 : the scum that forms on the surface of molten metal
2 : waste or foreign matter : IMPURITY
3 : something that is base, trivial, or inferior
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dross
In all these examples of simplicity, whole/real, basics, and refining the pattern of truth is revealed. Less is more, we need to get rid of the dross in our all areas of our lives to live meaningful, healthy, joyful, real, pure lives and stop living in the fake constructs of our society. This is the path to true freedom.
Just so you know…. I have a long way to go! Hope you will join me on this journey!
4 comments:
Great post - I really needed that reminder. Especially about the food part! We've been eating out recently because of family visiting and we all feel crummy. I'm going to find that book!!
And I've also checked out the Headgate and will be reading their free ebooks as well - thanks for that info!
Can't wait to see you in the fall!
Yep, the food part is a biggie for us too. Gotta get hubbie on board but I don't think it will be too hard. :)
When you return will you be coming to our TJ Ed book club? I hope so. Look forward to seeing you.
Less is more! That seems so contradictory in our society. Simplicity is truly a beautiful thing. Thanks for the great thoughts.
Rebekah,
As you said "spiritual exodus" this must be something the Lord is using to prepare us for a Zion like Society. I have had the same realizations in my life, though you articulate them much more eloquently. I have been "getting rid of the excess" "stuff" in our lives to create a more "temple" like atmosphere in the home. I told Sam, "Heavenly Father must be a minimalist because when we go to the temple there is not a lot of "stuff". As I've been getting rid of what we don't "need" or properly storing away that which we would like to save but would use later I can say the same, an appreciative Husband is thanking me for less clutter and chaos in our home and the spirit is better. Probably provides a great learning atmosphere, as I there are fewer distractions to the mind and a feeling of sanctity and peace. One thing I have learned is find a place for everything so when it leaves it's place it has somewhere to return. this has helped me.
Anyways, love reading your journey. Thanks for bringing us along ;)
Post a Comment