I read some articles recently that I wanted to share. Who knows I may copy Brandy from Afterthoughts and do weekly posts of links.
I struggle a lot with food. I'm overweight and not very healthy as a result. I have food sensitivities galore and one of my children does too. I really want to eat healthier and want my children to like eating healthier. Already I know they like their vegetables more than I did at their age so that's good. To me part of eating healthier includes limiting or even completely avoiding sugar. Now that is hard to do consistently when family brings treats to family functions or my olders go to their activity and the snack or motivational incentive is a sugar filled piece of junk. This article sums it up great:
Why Is Everyone Always Giving My Kids Junk Food?
"No doubt too, each and every time I speak up, there's someone out there telling me I shouldn't be so frustrated, as it's just "one" lollipop, it's just "one" ice cream sandwich, it's just "one" chocolate bar. If only it were just "one."
Oh, and I must include two comments from the article:
"I am just frustrated because junk at school and outside our home, ruins our plans to go out for treats on the weekend. Treats should be a parental perogative. I can't in good conscience take my kids for ice cream on Saturday afternoon, when I know there was some kind of food bonanza at their school or afterschool program the day before (often meaning they skip the nutritious dinner I made that night)..."
and
"YES!!! My thoughts exactly. It is like they are stealing our fun from us and we get to be the mean mommy who is always nagging, complaining and controlling!"
My other link is to a great set of links from Afterthoughts.
Common Core Link Roundup
One of the links Brandy gives is an excellent source to find out if the curriculum you or your school is using is aligned to common core.
A Common Core Primer: What Is It and Why Is It a Problem?
Here's a new one (3/31/13) to go along with the Common Core issue:
The "New Miranda Rights" for Common Core Parents
No comments:
Post a Comment